EMI is authorized to act as the National Metrology Institute of UAE and performs the following roles and responsibilities:
• Maintains UAE national reference standards and disseminates the international system of units (SI) .
• Is signatory to mutual recognition arrangement with the International Committee for Weights and Measures known as CIPM MRA.
• Represent the UAE and participates in different events at regional and international level.
• Represent UAE in technical committees and related working groups at regional and international level.
• Provide measurement and calibration services for Accredited Calibration Labs (ACLs) as well as different sector in industries.
• Provide training programs and consultancy services to government and the private sectors.
• Conduct proficiency test for calibration laboratories.
• Supports national accreditation body by providing them the assessors to conduct assessments.
• Carry out scientific and applied research and studies to support industrial and innovation projects in the country. To enable research activities through collaboration with scientific research centers, universities, and academic institutions.
• Cooperate with all organizations and entities involved in quality infrastructure in the UAE.
Emirates Metrology Institute currently provides the following services:
• Calibration services
• Training services
• Consultancy services
• Proficiency testing services (ILCs)
• Scientific research and studies services
Abu Dhabi Quality and Conformity Council (QCC) has established the Emirates Metrology Institute (EMI) to provide an efficient infrastructure to support scientific studies in measurements.
The strategic objective behind this project is to provide standardized measuring references in the emirate and to ensure accuracy and liability in the various measuring instruments and equipment. Also, EMI strives to seek solutions in measurement for various industries in order to help them strengthen their competitiveness and promote UAE products in international markets.
EMI project was launched in January 2014 and currently owns 11 laboratories, and they are:
• Electrical Lab
• Time and Frequency Lab
• Dimension and Angle Lab
• Temperature Lab
• Humidity Lab
• Force Lab
• Torque Lab
• Pressure Lab
• Mass Lab
• Volume Lab
• Flow Lab
In December 2014, following peer assessment carried out by assessors from Turkish National Metrology Institute ( TUBITAK UME), Emirates Authority for Standardization and Metrology (ESMA) has authorized EMI to act as National Metrology Institute (NMI) of UAE and reference standards maintained by EMI are considered UAE National Measurement Standards.